Tonight is a big night!
Who is helping give out half a million free books across America on April 23rd? I am.
On April 23, 2014, 25,000 volunteers from Kodiak to Key West will give away half a million free books in more than 6,000 towns and cities across America.
World Book Night U.S. (WBN) is an ambitious campaign to give thousands of free, specially- printed paperbacks to light or non-readers. Volunteer book lovers like myself will help promote reading by going into our communities and handing out free copies of a book we love, often to those without means or access to a printed book. With the organizational support of our local bookstores and libraries, we’ll be sharing them in locations such as hospitals, mass transit, nursing homes, food pantries, underfunded schools, and more.
- This is not a random giveaway. I will ask people if they are readers first. If they are avid readers already, these free editions are not for them. Avid readers are asked to participate next year as a giver by signing up for the WBN e-newsletter for World Book Night 2015.
- World Book Night is making a short, free original e-book available to everyone at their website on April 23.
All information, including FAQs and links to our social media —including giver experiences and photographs— at http://www.us.worldbooknight.org/
MORE ABOUT WORLD BOOK NIGHT
World Book Night takes place on April 23, 2014 —Shakespeare’s birthday— and is in its third year in the U.S., after the UK launch in 2011.
As part of World Book Night, 2,300 bookstores and libraries serve as community organizers for the book distribution to the volunteer givers. WBN’s reach includes all 50 states, Puerto Rico, USVI, and overseas military bases.
The WBN picks are by a wide array of award-winning and bestselling adult and YA authors, as well as classics, books in Spanish, and books in Large Print. The assortment of 39 WBN titles is based on diversity in subject matter, age level, gender, ethnicity and geography. The books were chosen in a vote by booksellers, librarians, and givers.
Bestselling author Scott Turow said: “I can’t imagine any greater compliment to a book —or an author— than to know his work has been selected to welcome people to the pleasures of reading.”
ABOUT THE VOLUNTEERS AND NEXT YEAR
Volunteers applied online to be givers by stating where they intend to seek out book recipients, and noting which of the special WBN Book Picks they’d like to hand out.
The volunteer givers come from all walks of life: teachers, book club members, social workers, first responders, local businesspeople, librarians, booksellers, students, parents, and more.
Of note: It is too late to volunteer to be a giver this year, but anyone can sign up for the WBN e- newsletter in order to be notified when the giver application process begins anew in the fall for 2015.
Latest posts by Mocha Girl Alysia (see all)
- Book Tour Tuesday: Stolen by the Billionaire by Blair Babylon(Twisted Billionaires, #5) - March 5, 2024
- Nominations Are Open -April 2024: The Way He Sees It - March 4, 2024
- March 2024 Monthly Book Selection: A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum - February 19, 2024