Today we are going to talk about June’s book of the month, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde But first, let’s explore this book and find out what it is all about.
In this celebrated work, his only novel, Wilde forged a devastating portrait of the effects of evil and debauchery on a young aesthete in late-19th-century England. Combining elements of the Gothic horror novel and decadent French fiction, the book centers on a striking premise: As Dorian Gray sinks into a life of crime and gross sensuality, his body retains perfect youth and vigor while his recently painted portrait grows day by day into a hideous record of evil, which he must keep hidden from the world. For over a century, this mesmerizing tale of horror and suspense has enjoyed wide popularity. It ranks as one of Wilde’s most important creations and among the classic achievements of its kind.
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT AND/OR ANSWER:
1. In the preface (be sure to read this), Wilde writes that “there is no such thing as a moral or immoral book.” In other words, art has no effect, other than aesthetic, on individuals or society. Do you agree with Wilde’s premise? Does this novel adhere to his statement?
2. What is the relationship between Basil and Dorian…from beginning to end?
3. Do you find any of these characters believable? Why or why not? (If not, do you think Wilde might have purposely drawn them as such?)
4. If you know the story of Faust, what parallels do you find in Wilde’s novel?
(Questions from Litlovers.com)
Reviews from Mocha Girls
Check out what a few Mocha Girls thought about this months Book of the Month.
Mocha Girl Vivian
Mocha Girl Jo
Mocha Girl Shayla
Mocha Girl Keionna
What did you think of The Picture of Dorian Gray? Give us your thoughts below. We would love to hear your two cents.
Don’t have your copy yet? Click here to go to Amazon to get your copy today.
Latest posts by Mocha Girl Alysia (see all)
- Book Tour Tuesday: Homecoming Chaosby D.W. Brooks - December 5, 2023
- Nominations are Open – January 2024: Grown Folks Dystopia - December 4, 2023
- Book Tour Tuesday: Once Upon a Charming Bookshop by Heatherly Bell (Charming, Texas, #6) - November 28, 2023