Today we are going to talk about April’s book of the month, The Fifth Season. But before we chat about it, let’s explore this book and find out what it is all about.
This is the way the world ends. Again.
Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, a woman living an ordinary life in a small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Meanwhile, mighty Sanze — the world-spanning empire whose innovations have been civilization’s bedrock for a thousand years — collapses as most of its citizens are murdered to serve a madman’s vengeance. And worst of all, across the heart of the vast continent known as the Stillness, a great red rift has been been torn into the heart of the earth, spewing ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries.
Now Essun must pursue the wreckage of her family through a deadly, dying land. Without sunlight, clean water, or arable land, and with limited stockpiles of supplies, there will be war all across the Stillness: a battle royale of nations not for power or territory, but simply for the basic resources necessary to get through the long dark night. Essun does not care if the world falls apart around her. She’ll break it herself, if she must, to save her daughter.
QUESTIONS TO THINK ABOUT AND/OR ANSWER:
- Jemisin writes this story in 2nd and 3rd person. Do you like it or find it to be quite confusing?
- We have 3 strong female characters in this book. Who is your favorite? Damaya, Syenite or Essun?
- Did you find the prologue to be too much? Or were you excited because you knew something good was about to happen?
- Do you see any similarities with our current climate? Do you think the story takes place on Earth?
- Do you think Alabaster’s goal is to seek revenge or start over? And why do you think the stone eaters are his allies?
(Questions from our wonderful Facebook group leader – Mocha Girl Classy)
REVIEWS FROM MOCHA GIRLS
Mocha Girl Tome
Mocha Girl “Rae of Books”
Mocha Girl “You Better F’n Read”
Mocha Girl TJ
Mocha Girl Shayla
Mocha Girl Jessica
Mocha Girl Page
Latest posts by Melyssa (see all)
- Book Tour Tuesday: Dating by the Book - June 18, 2019
- My Top 10 Bookish Resources Copy - June 16, 2019
- Book Tour Tuesday: Cherishing the Goddess - June 4, 2019