Today we are going to talk about January 2017 book of the month, The Heart Don’t Lie by Yasheca Lasha. But first, let’s check out this book and see what it is all about.
Jewels is an around-the-way girl who prides herself on being the sexiest amongst her crew. Black, is her tall, dark, and handsome lover who will do anything to protect her. She soon discovers that loving a man like Black, a drug dealer, comes with many ups and downs.
After learning of Black’s infidelities with another woman in the bed they shared, Jewels decides to get revenge by playing the field. Things take an unexpected turn and spiral out of control when she meets LaShaun, and her sexuality is tested.
Relationships are ruined and friendships are destroyed, as Jewels struggles to figure out who really has her back. She soon discovers that nothing is safe when it comes to matters of the heart.
The Heart Don’t Lie: Jewels’ Dilemma, becomes a roller coaster ride full of twists and suspense, as the unveiling of adultery, murder, sex, and drugs begin to consume Jewels’ almost perfect world.
Questions to think about and/or answer:
- Who is your favorite character and why?
- What traits do you see in Jewels, Summer and LaShaun that you see in yourself? Are these good or bad traits?
- Do you think Summer was married for the right reasons?
- What did you think of the ending? Do you think any of them should have done things differently?
Mocha Girls Speak
Mocha Girl Margaret
We were introduced to several characters at once, which as a little hard to keep up with. I learned early on that I didn’t like Black nor Tank. But overall, this book was a great reminder to get rid of toxic people and behaviors as soon as possible.
Mocha Girl Monamichelle
Really fast-moving story so I zoomed right through the book. I liked some of the characters a lot. However, I was distracted by the author’s writing style and a fair number of typos. Ending also felt rushed.
Mocha Girl Mya Mya
I could’ve get into the book as much as I’d hope. About a few pages in I was ready to stop reading, but I pushed through. Maybe it was the flow of the plot, but I just couldn’t appreciate it as so many have. Certain parts did catch my attention though.
Paperback: 208 pages
Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (October 24, 2016)
Buy the Book
Latest posts by Mocha Girl Alysia (see all)
- Book Tour Tuesday: Once Upon a Charming Bookshop by Heatherly Bell (Charming, Texas, #6) - November 28, 2023
- Book Tour Tuesday: Rise Like a Phoenix by Tammy Lowe(The Acadian Secret, #3) - November 21, 2023
- December 2023 Monthly Book Selection: Verity by Colleen Hoover - November 20, 2023