SEPTEMBER 2023 NOMINATIONS ARE OPEN
At Mocha Girls Read, we are passionate about promoting diversity in literature. As readers, we believe that by incorporating a wide range of voices and perspectives into our reading habits, we can enrich our understanding of the world and cultivate empathy.
We read EVERYTHING!
So this month the theme for September’s book nominations will be…
To nominate a book it must:
- Not be a book we have read before. Check our library to make sure.
- Be a book that can be completed in one month.
- Be in both physical and e-book form.
- Be a series starter. If you are nominating a book that is in a series then only Book #1 is eligible.
Nominations are from 8/7/2023 until 8/13/2023
For selecting our book of the month Mocha Girls Read uses a democratic system for monthly selections. What do I need to do? In the comments section below, tell us what you want to read next (author and title please). How many books can I nominate? Just pick 1 title off your TBR (to be read) list. Then what? We will put the list of nominations up for everyone to vote on. Once the voting is over, the winner will be selected as the book of the month. What if there is a tie? We will put the two books to a head-to-head competition. The two books will be re-posted and everyone will be able to vote again but only in a 48-hour window of time. When do the nominations start and end? The nominations start today and will close on August 13, 2023, at 10:00 pm PST. Voting will start the next day.
Let us know what you want to read next in the comment section below.
If you need some suggestions for a book to nominate look below. Click the book covers to read or buy the books on Amazon. (You would be helping out the book club when you do.)
LINK TO ALA BANNED BOOK LIST
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- All Boys Aren’t Blue by George M. Johnson
- The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
- Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- When Dad Killed Mom by Julius Lester
Latest posts by Mocha Girl Alysia (see all)
- March 2024 Monthly Book Selection: A Woman is No Man by Etaf Rum - February 19, 2024
- Book Tour Tuesday: False Haven by Rebecca Rook - February 13, 2024
- Let’s Vote for March 2024 Monthly Book Selection: Her Palestine - February 12, 2024